Kimberlé Crenshaw will lead a symposium about race, legal education and justice in the wake of the events in Ferguson. The even is sponsored and organized by Harvard Students for Inclusion and co-sponsored by La Alianza, APALSA, BLSA, MLSA, NLG, Lambda, and ACS.
Thursday, February 12th from 12:00 – 1:30pm in WCC 2004: RACE AND SOCIAL MOVEMENTS AT HLS: A RETROSPECTIVE
Join law professor and legal historian Daniel Coquillette for a look back on HLS’ history of race, racism and student activism followed by panel discussion with Kimberlé Crenshaw, Philip Lee, Ronald Sullivan and Victoria White-Mason
*lunch provided by Milbank Tweed*
Thursday, February 12th from 5:15 – 7:15pm in Langdell South (272 Kirkland): CONTEXTUALIZATION IN LEGAL EDUCATION: A TEACH-IN
1L cases like you’ve never seen them before. Join Kimberlé Crenshaw, Duncan Kennedy, Jon Hanson, Aziza Ahmed and Gary Peller for a demonstration and discussion of the importance of contextualized learning in case method teaching.
Friday, February 13th from 2:00-4:00pm in Milstein West: KEYNOTE: LAW SCHOOL OR JUSTICE SCHOOL? CONNECTING THE DOTS BETWEEN HARVARD AND FERGUSON
Kimberlé Crenshaw and Gary Peller will deliver keynote remarks on the relevance of legal education to the current conversations about racial injustice in the law. How do the “broken” aspects of the law track back to what and how we learn in law school? What responsibility do legal educators have to teach and create curriculum that combats, or at least addresses, systemic injustices? Duncan Kennedy will moderate the post-keynote panel with Dean Martha Minow, Philip Lee, and Jon Hanson.
Facebook event here.
Read full bios of each of the speakers here:
- Aziza Ahmed: http://www.northeastern.edu/law/faculty/directory/ahmed.html
- Kimberlé Crenshaw: https://law.ucla.edu/faculty/faculty-profiles/kimberle-w-crenshaw/
- Daniel Coquillette: http://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/10186/Coquillette/
- Jon Hanson: http://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/10361/Hanson
- Duncan Kennedy: http://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/10469/Kennedy
- Philip Lee: http://www.law.udc.edu/?PLee
- Martha Minow: http://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/10589/Minow
- Ronald Sullivan: http://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/10870/Sullivan